Ski in July

by: hu97224 - Jul 22, 2010

Pros: Compact, close to everything

Cons: Snow was poor

Date Visited: Jul 1, 2010

Finally, I was able to ski during July, not to mention that I came from Portland Oregon, I could have skied at Timberline during July?

I booked a flight from Sydney to Cooma via Aeropelican, they flew a 19 seats twin propeller JetStreamer 21 aircraft. My inbound flight was delayed for over 3 hours due to the fact of early morning fog and Aeropelican only had one aircraft for the route. My outbound flight was a bit bumpy because of the weather condition. Either way, I did not meet other skier on board, I was wondering where are the skiers. Anyway, the other alternative from Sydney to Thredbo was via Greyhound AU for AUD120 each way, it took 7.5 hours each way too. My flight costed AUD150 each way, and AUD 120 round trip for the shuttle to and from Cooma airport to the Thredbo village. Flight duration is 60 minutes as advertised, the shuttle took over one hour each way, and the scenic way was worth the drive. I am not going to mention the cost of lodging and meal, they are disgustingly expensive, more than the most place in North America.

When the shuttle bus stopped at the Koscuiszko national park gate, it hit me that why everything was so expensive, because the village is located inside a national park. Overnight, I heard a loud sound similar to ocean surf, it was the snow gun working overnight. Wow, no wonder the lift tickets were expensive too.

I followed the shuttle bus driver's advice to get on the lift by 8:30am, there was not much waiting at the Valley Terminal, so it was a breeze to go up on the Koscuiszko express to reach the eagles nest.

I took the Supertrail down, under some shadow area, ice has already formed. I ventured around the mountain to gunbarrel in Friday Flat until the snow was gone on some small trails. That was it.

I think it worth to ski at Thredbo once for your life time, but it did not deserve my return trip.