by: Hdavidson - 27th January 2009

Arizona skiing only 41/2 hours drive
Old but best skiing in Arizona

I have a soft spot in my heart for Sunrise. My parents took me when I was four and I took my chilren when they were four. It is built on the proper side of the mountain, unlike Snow Bowl. Therefor not icy and not dangerous. It is a wonderful safe spot for your chilren to ski and learn to ski. The Indians are very friendly if you are friendly (isn't that how all humans are?). If you want world class skiing, go to Telluride or fly to Utah, Jackson Hole or Vail. People should try to enjoy it for what it is instead of trying to turn it into something it isn't. It is like going to Mexico and then complaining that it is Mexico. How about loving that it is not crowded, close to Phoenix, safe and rundown. Just a thought. We stay in Greer and skip Pinetop. The drive is twenty minutes to the hill and there is no traffic from that direction. I would pass on staying at any of the properties that Greer Lodge has purchased. They are expensive (for Greer) and they tend to change the rates frequently. I have found them difficult to deal with. The locals in Greer are not happy that they have bought up all the small resorts in town. Greer does have a website that is helpful. It is not what happens to you in life but how you look at it. We should all be a little less critical and demanding, especially after the recent spending spluge on credit. It is nice to see that the indians are not caught up in our phony values. More, more, better, better, keep up and outdo your friends and neighbors. Go, relax, teach your kids a great sport that gets them off their itouch and video games. Family dinners and skiing together, only four to four and a half hours away. Save money and support Arizona businesses.