by: Art - 28th December 2010

Somewhat close to Phoenix
Would like resort to stay open till May

I started Snowboarding last year & I used to go to Snowbowl until an employee at the Ski Chalet in Phoenix told me to check out Sunrise, now I only go there. Nothing against Snowbowl I just don't like to messing with driving up the icy mountain & putting on snow chains, etc ... I drive a Mazda Miata so that in itself is scary. I think Arizonian's are really lucky to have two resorts to choose from. Sure... Sunrise is not Salt Lake City or Lake Tahoe but the lift tickets are inexpensive, the people in the town & staff on the resort are nice. Keep in mind that they have to deal with some snotty & rude visitors that look down on small towns & brag about Vail or Whistler. Anywhere I can snowboard I have no complaints. I take a week vacation once a year & I pick a different ski resort .... Keystone & Breckenridge one year, one week did 5 resorts in Salt lake City & this year will be going to Lake Tahoe... most people can only afford one ski vacation a year ... the rest of the time we have Snowbowl & Sunrise to keep us happy. It's true the staff at Sunrise do not go out of there way to be super friendly but who cares! I am there for one thing & that is to snowboard! In fact ... I prefer no one talks to me or tries to chit chat .... I like getting on a lift without being told to get in this line & we need a second lift rider here & blah blah blah... at sunrise they just leave you alone & that's the way I like it. I bought the season pass for $450.00 which was a mistake because the lift tickets are only $39.00 ...I'll have to make 12 visits to break even ... I don't care if its one lift with one trail with 2 inches of snow .... I'm there!