by: anonymous_user - 1st February 2005

Big. Really big. It takes a a minute or two to fathom the sheer scale of Sunshine Village as you get out of the gondola that ferries skiers and riders the spectacular 1,600 or so vertical feet to the mid-mountain village base area. 3,300 acres, 3,500 feet vertical. The stats are impressive. Snow? When I asked the Austrian guy on the chair lift why he was there, he looked at me like I was an idiot, shot me a one-word answer and resolutely resumed his survey of the Rocky Mountain landscape unfolding below us: "Snow." All 33 annual feet of it.With more than half of its terrain above the tree line, Sunshine won't disappoint those craving endless wide-open bowls to carve. Steeps? No shortage in that department. This writer wasn't up to it, but by all accounts Goats Eye and Lookout Mountains have the goods and then some. Feeling suicidal? Climb into Delirium Dive from the top of the Continental Divide Quad and take it for a test drive. Trees your thing? Head for the lower mountain -- you'll need days to explore everything on offer. An intermediate Eastern skier, I couldn't get enough of the seemingly endless snow fields off the Continental Divide, Strawberry and Standish lifts -- in three days I just scratched the surface. And I couldn't get enough of the almost non-existent lines, uncrowded slopes and laid-back atmosphere. Big-time skiing, small-town vibe. Perfect.