by: ski53 - 16th January 2008

Sunshine Village. It's beautiful, all right, but downright boring as a ski area. Of course, all the double black runs, and Delirium Dive and the other areas that require avvie gear were closed, so perhaps I'm not giving it a fair chance. So I'll bump up my rating of its downhill terrain, giving the benefit of the doubt. The green runs required an inordinate amount of traversing to get down to the bottom, but it seemed like an excellent mountain to ski for intermediate skiers. As for apres ski, there is none. The last beer, as has been noted, is served at 5 PM! Fortunately, Banff is where everybody stays, and that town is beautiful, and pretty insane for partying. But for me, having a beer after skiing - at the ski area - is almost mandatory. And let's take just a moment to mention the lift ticket prices. Nearby Kicking Horse is twenty bucks cheaper. Overall, though, I did have fun. It's close to Banff, and the views are spectacular. Apparently New Year's is too early there to open the good stuff. I'll give it another shot sometime later in the season.