Right on the edge of the Ecrins National Park and the valleys of Champsaur and Valgaudemar, the ski resort of Orcières prides itself on being different. Indeed, Orcières 1850 offers a rare glimpse of what skiing is like in the Southern Alps, sunny and bright, however it is in the Northern Alps, receiving the typical northern snow fall. Here you can ski staring at the magnificent panorama views all day, every day with the abundant light flooding the valleys. Orcieres 1850 is a little different; there aren't many resorts that benefit form excellent sunny days and also abundant snowfall.
As for accommodation, attractive Orcières has everything visitors may need: furnished chalets, hotels, residences and holiday villages.
In recent years, Orcieres has made the effort to increase the quality and quantity of rental accommodation. Now the resort is proud to offer a great quality vs. price highly competitive with other resorts in the region. Visitors will now get more for their money thanks to the recent completion of several swarve hotel residences. Each of them meets the 3 or 4 star criteria.
In terms of up-to-date Infrastructure it's worth noting in particular:
- “La Grande Ourse” leisure complex is a temple for well-being, relaxation and recreation (swimming pool, ice rink, leisure area, bowling and a cinema). Come to relax and make the most of the facilities in the hands of the professionals. Get a sun tan like at the beach but instead enjoy the view over the snow-capped mountains all around!
- “La Petite Ourse” which regroups all the different day-care options for children on the same site: The day-care "Les Oursons", the “Piwi Piwi” snow garden, the "Eterlous Club" and "le Cartable à la Neige” whether summer or winter, will welcome children from 3 months to 12 years old.
- The Pixie's Camp (the new Orcières snowpark) is really sunny and has a constant supply of snow due to its location on the on the Rocherousse plateau. The park, measuring 16 000 m² has a dedicated ski lift. There is a bordercross with whoops, boxes, tables, there is nothing missing!
In the children's snow garden, two zones "beginners" which is right at the base of the slopes and the second on one of the snowy plateaus allowing beginners to access a little bit of altitude and longer descents.
If you're not skiing then Orcières is no exception and offers a range of activities for thrill seekers:
- Cable Roll'Air it: The longest zipline in Europe. The cable stretches from the top of the Drouvet (2655 m) to le Lac long (2500 m). The length of the wire is 1870 metres allowing a cruising speed of 130 km / h and a maximum nearer 140!
- Snake Gliss is like tobogganing, except one difference, instead of one person on the sledge, 10 or more at the same time!
- In the Williwaw Nordic village, up high on the Rocherousse Plateau, ten igloos emerge from the white vastness! The area is accessible to hikers and skiers and for dog sled rides. Visit the village and spend a night in an igloo for a truly unforgettable experience with friends and family.
On a practical note, the resort has 700 free parking spaces next to the slopes as well as free shuttle buses to get around.