Related Regions: Alpe d'Huez grand domaine Ski, Northern Alps, France, Isere, Europe, Europe Overall, Oisans

Reviews for Alpe d'Huez

Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Alpe d'Huez that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Alpe d'Huez stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Alpe d'Huez review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience. For more destination information, click Add to Compare to see a side-by-side comparison of Alpe d'Huez vs. other ski resorts (up to 10 total).

by: Martin Thomas - 12th November 2017

• 5Beginner
  • 5Intermediate
  • 4Expert
  • 5Overall Value
Huge resort, lots snowmaking, car friendly
Commercial

I've skied all over, but have now been mostly staying in Alpe D'Huez. Its a huge domaine where you can ski for 2 days and not hit the same run twice. Its very car friendly, thats one of the main reasons I like it. Unlike some resorts that ban cars, this place welcomes them, loads of parking, even during the most busy time periods (mid Feb). Plenty of underground car parking and free on street parking. Snow clearance on the roads is very quick and they will work through the night to keep it running, if necessary.....except for lunch time, which is when all of France closes anyway. Nice choice of hotels and apartments, from very expensive to bordering on hostel type. Spas in the expensive places are brilliant. Restaurants vary widely from burgers and waffles to some stunning posh nosh, too expensive for me to buy. Shops are quite boutique and not my cup of tea, but (Obviously) plenty of ski shops, and also plenty of ski hire, if you stay away from the main Commercial Centre, you can find ski hire quite cheap. 2 main Doctors surgery on resort....yes I've had cause to use both of them, they are friendly and very English talking (thank you)..... you must take out piste recovery insurance with your ski pass, as a family man, I've had cause to use this 3 times now. Sports facilities and open air swimming pool is a funny one, as you're swimming with snow around you and its warm, you do need to wear those French Budgie Smugglers in the pool, but you can buy those in reception. Coffee and waffles etc is expensive, but you are at 2,000 metres in a ski resort, so what did you expect? So really its not expensive at all. Many people take their own drinks and food and go high and enjoy the view, I have, and do, and its great. Personally I love this resort, its fantastic for beginners with two large green areas and then plenty of more challenging skiing. They have a load of snow making equipment, so have managed to keep most runs open, even during scant snow times. In all honesty, I can't really fault the place properly. Its expensive, but its a ski resort, its cheaper than other resorts. Lots of English speaking, some people might not like that, I do. The French waiters and waitresses are.... well..... French! ... so don't expect that warm smile and, "what can I do for you" routine, more...."what do you want...hurry up"! .... its France, on resort - what did you expect?..... don't even get me talking about the French shop keepers that follow you around thinking that you're shoplifting, but I guess they have learnt the hard way with the many school trips. At the end of the day, I come for the skiing, and in Huez, you can ski and ski and ski and I have found you are normally treated as you treat others, be nice, be polite and I have found the place is stunning. I can't recommend it enough, I'm returning.....

1|2|3