Related Regions: Lake Geneva Region, Switzerland, Vaud, Europe, Europe Overall

Reviews for Villars - Gryon

Read skier and snowboarder-submitted reviews on Villars - Gryon that rank the ski resort and mountain town on a scale of one to five stars for attributes such as terrain, nightlife and family friendliness. See how Villars - Gryon stacks up in the reviews, on and off the slopes, from skiing and family activities to the après scene. Read up on pros, cons and other comments in reviews left by fellow skiers and riders. Don't forget to submit your own Villars - Gryon review! Scroll to the bottom of this page to let other travelers know about your skiing and resort experience. For more destination information, click Add to Compare to see a side-by-side comparison of Villars - Gryon vs. other ski resorts (up to 10 total).

by: Angus - 31st January 2007

I took my family to Villars for the first time in 2002 and returned in 2003, 2004 and 2005. It is a wonderful little town that is very friendly and welcoming. in 2005 we had huge dumps of snow and the roads were kept clear, gritted where appropriate and traffic was not interrrupted. Insofar as skiing was concerned, well, my wife and children all loved it, while I pottered around exploring on my own account. I felt that as a competent skier there was much more than was immediately apparent and that I should invest in a few days ski-school to open up the possibilites that a tourist just will never discover for themselves unless very lucky. I had never had a ski lesson before, but armed with a credit card, I booked myself into class 6 and found mysefl among others of similar standard all wanting more from the resort. This was given to us in spades!!! Although my command of French is sufficient to order a few beers our instructor from Quebec was able to convey what he wanted us to achieve and how we were going to achieve it. Immediately we warmed up with a couple of red runs at very high speed and then disappeared off-piste. Fantastic snow made the experience much more enjoyable and I would certainly recommend ski-school to EVERYONE no matter how good they claim to be. Simply you will derive more from the resort than you will find on your own. The only problem that I encountered was an American who had an apartment but had failed to change his tyres and could not find purchase on the hill road. I always equip my car with winter tyres and have snow chains for all 4 wheels. I loaned him a set of chains which, despite his promise to return these to our chalet, he did not do so. But that is a reflection of Him rather than the village. If you haven't been to Villars, do so - it is a classic chocolate box resort that is much under-rated.

1|2