The year was 2002, and freeskier Matt Sterbenz, who was living in Truckee, Calif., at the time, wanted to control the shape of his ski as well as the intended use. He came up with two name options, and 4FRNT looked better written in dirt on the back window of his car. In 2005, the company moved to Salt Lake City, where 20 percent of the skis are produced (the other 80 percent are made in Slovenia at the Elan factory). 4FRNT says it can press a ski and test it the next day thanks to the close mountain access of the Wasatch.

The 4FRNT Devastator is a fully rockered asymmetrical twin tip (dimensions in the 184 length are 136-108-131). Construction details include an ash and beech core, semi-cap ABS sidewalls and 4FRNT’s Reflect Tech—where the sidecut radius matches the rocker radius for both edge grip and flotation.