by: j6m9cameron - 20th January 2008

Not wanting to sit in traffic for hours on I-70 myself and a buddy of mine decided to drive up to Snowy Range from Denver. We both had never skied there before so we were looking forward to see what we would find. What we found was 250 acres and 27 trails of all types and challenges and a really good day of skiing. There are no high speed lifts, and on this day they only ran 2 of their 5 lifts, 1 on the front side of the mountain and another on the back side. Ok, 3 lifts if you want to count the magic carpet for the kids. If you like to ride as much as possible and not wait in long lift lines then this is a really good choice. Every time we got in a lift line our "wait" was never a wait at all. The drive from Denver is 150 miles, give or take and an easy drive to make. We were on the mountain just after 10 and back in Denver before 6, having left Snowy Range at 3pm. Snowy Range is small, but offers alot. Parking is free. Tickets for adults are $41, cash, check or credit card. Yes they do take checks. The day lodge is huge, the ticket windows, restrooms, gift shop and rentals are on the bottom floor and the food can be found on the upper floor. They offer a decent and varied food selection. And the upper floor seats 850 people, there are tvs to watch sports on and plenty of windows on which to look out at the activity on the mountain. The ski school is in a separate building and the ski patrol in another building. One thing you will notice is the ski patrol are all over the mountain, at the top of each ski lift as well as throughout the trails. So they are never too far away should they be needed. We did see some rails, boxes and jumps in some of the terrain park riding up the lift, but how much there is to ride and do tricks on I dont know. So I rated it average. If you want an easy drive on the interstate without the hassles of traffic jams and are into skiing for the sure enjoyment of it no matter the destination, give Snowy Range a try. I will certainly be back.