by: Lilly - 13th February 2011

Amazing terrain, abundant snow and steeps, and very friendly staff
Since its more remote, may be more expensive to get there, but worth the trip!!

It was excellent!! Jackson Hole’s reputation for is great terrain, abundant snow and steeps is well deserved. Even though we seem to have picked the one week with the least snow, I still highly recommend it. As an intermediate skier, I did find the slopes challenging. I usually mix intermediate and advance level slopes, but in Jackson Hole I was happy to stay in the blues. Advanced and expert skiers will find everything they are looking for and more. Intermediate skiers will leave with a sense of accomplishment of having skied such an amazing mountain, and beginners will still have enough trails to keep them entertained. Minimal lift lines, well maintained resort, and the people were great, very friendly and extremely helpful. I loved that our ski rental shop had free cold beer waiting for us for when we got back. Never have I enjoyed a beer as much, as right after a long successful day of skiing. We stayed at the Inn at Jackson Hole that had good service, and especially a very good value especially because of its walking distance to the slopes. It does not have its own restaurant within the building, though there is one shared with a sister hotel. We like checking out different places, so when I return I would also like to try out the Alpenhof (so much closer to the slopes and close price range), or Terra (pricier, but the hotel looked beautiful, I loved their green values and their amazing food). Speaking of food, yes, up in the mountains, is what you would expect - the views were great, the food was not exactly memorable. At the base, every single meal was delicious. I especially recommend The Mangy Moose, we loved it so much that we ate most of our breakfasts downstairs (loved the murals) and went several times for dinner to the restaurant. Their homemade soups never failed to impress, and my mouth still waters as I recall every since Entree we tasted. For those of you with non skiers / snowboarders in the group, or if you have non skiing days planned: Jackson Hole is for those that love the outdoors and nature. You are here to ski, snowboard, hike... what ever it is that you love doing outdoors. Non skiers / snowboarders can also take a dog sled tour, a sleigh ride, go to Yellowstone, try some snowshoes....If you are looking for a huge resort with a lot of stores, this may not be the place for you. You will find some very charming stores in the nearby town, but not what you will find closer to larger resorts. There are spectacular national parks surrounding the general area. Since we had never been to Wyoming, we took advantage of our "resting day" to take a snowmobile tour to Yellowstone park. As I mentioned before, we were the exception in that we had little snow in an area where it's usually abundant. Due to the little snow on the road, our snow mobile broke down, and we had to ride in the back of our tour guides mobile. However, the experience of seeing Yellowstone in the winter was beautiful, even if we did have a speeding limit in the park. Despite our mishap, we did make it in time to see Old Faithful, and curiously enough, as if on queue, the buffalo came by just in time for the pictures. It was a spectacular vacation and definitely worth the trip!!