by: Matt - 3rd April 2014

Fresh Pow, No one skiing
Not staying open longer...

Had 4" fresh on spring break. Past years they would have been closed or skiing the last bit - this year hardly any melt off! WOW. Full open, warm temps. Sunglasses and t-shirt under my shell by mid-morning. Sunny. Don't know why more folks not taking advantage of the best ski season we have had in mid-west in a decade or more. Dummys! Well, they have all the features on map going full blast. Even the tree skiing is still good. They only blow on the marked runs, naturally, but the real deal is still plentiful in the trees. The terrain parks looked in awesome shape for the boarders. Some "out west" sized ramps/kickers to get some serious air. I don't do air anymore, but surprised myself by catching a launch off a roller for about 20' - just didn't anticipate the powder drifted over the landing area, but that still made for a fluffy crash! Lodge had the outdoor service bar going too. I haven't been to a midwest hill that was in this shape, this late in the season. If you're on the fence, check weather and Granite Peak web site to check conditions. I believe they are staying open an extra week and a weekend or two. Crowds are non-existent as folks here have tired of winter. Shoots off top of mid-chair were in great shape. I'm telling you, place was sweet. I didn't mind no one around, but felt bad for the resort not bagging more cash to make up for lean years. The snow depth was accurate on web page - I think they have 4-6 foot base. Expect the snow to get slow for mid afternoon and a touch sloppy at lifts but otherwise you can get one more "fix" before they close.