Worth the trip from Mpls/St.Paul

by: johnny mack - Mar 6, 2010

Pros: 75 trails,need I say more

Cons: The hidden taxes you pay with your lift ticket.

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2010

Awesome skiing,plenty of trails in a beautifully forested area.It was 45 and sunny when I was there,but I am positive if it would have been windy,I would have been protected from it by all the trees.There was hardly anyone there,so it was like my own private ski area.The six person chair is a dream,and you can really add up some vertical with it.Most of the trails start out steep and level out for a long way,you will get a good thigh burn.Up top on a clear day,I bet you can see 50 miles.The view is magnificent.I will definitely be back.
It would be nice if there was a decent hotel with lift and lodging packages,instead of the usual chain hotels like Super 8.
A 56 dollar lift ticket actually costs you 61 dollars at the window.I did not see anything about these taxes on their website,so be advised,you will get hit with an arts and entertainment tax.The chalets are absolutely beautiful!Bathrooms were clean. Plenty of locker space to stash a jacket when it gets warm,nice fireplace to sit by,large outdoor patio with heaters at every table,and they were constructing an outdoor barbecue restaurant when I was there.I did not eat there,as I brought my charcoal grill and grilled out in the parking lot by the 6 person chair.The parking lot is huge.This is well worth the drive from the twin cities.It took me 2 hours and 40 minutes to get there.I will go here from now on instead of going to Spirit Mtn. in Duluth.