Snowboarder Etiquette Needs to be Addressed!

by: jackieperks - Feb 14, 2011

Pros: Nice wide runs, great grooming, great snow quality, improved chairlifts

Cons: Snowboarders are blocking runs, Food quality has gone downhill

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2011

We skied from early morning to late afternoon Saturday, February 12. We arrived to find excellent conditions and uncrowded slopes. Snow was in great condition - great grooming. Later in the afternoon, many groups arrived and slopes became crowded. The biggest problem there is that many snowboarders simply plop their butts down wherever they feel like it, often lining up side by side, creating a very dangerous obstacle for other snowboarders and skiers. We almost fell on several occasions trying to avoid them as some were RIGHT below the crest of a hill. We also witnessed many falls due to this (some with injuries). Frankly the ski patrol should have stopped this immediately and in my opinion, signs should be posted regarding rules or face being ejected from the resort. These boarders are also lining up at the chairlift exists and again, causing people to fall trying to get out of their way. I did see one of the chairlift operators finally come out and tell them to clear the unloading area. We saw a lot of people fall due to this terrible etiquette problem and can't believe how much worse this has become just this year. We purchased a day/night ticket, but had to forfeit the evening as it had simply gotten out of control with these snowboarders!!! Bartenders were great - nice and friendly, too (yummy bloody mary's). However, I am sorry to say that food quality was terrible. I don't expect gourmet food when we ski, but we had the driest rotisserie pork and turkey, served on horribly dry/stale buns. Others we met were complaining about the food, as well. Although I don't go for the food, it's nice to eat something that you can finish. Devilshead, you can certainly do better....oh, and trail signs were missing except for the black diamond, so newer skiers did not know where they were going!!! What happened?