by: Evan Wright - 14th December 2010

long fun, runs for the midwest
none

Several of us from Chicagoland made a road trip to Devil's head on the 4th-5th of Dec, 2010. It was still the preseason, so only part of the mountain was open. To compensate for the lack of trails being open, lift tickets were 20% off and the rooms were only $50 each - certainly a fair deal. I was impressed with the extent of the facilities. The cafeteria had a great view, and food at Dante's where we had breakfast was good. Another reviewer has complained about the price of the breakfast buffet, but we ordered off the menu, and the prices were reasonable (for a ski resort). There was also a good ski shop, which came in handy since someone in our group needed a neck gaiter. My only minor complaint would be about the Devil's Den. Initially, we went there to get a few drinks and some food after we arrived on Saturday night, but the music was so obnoxiously loud, we didn't even get past the doorway. I could have understood this, if the place had been packed with club-goers, however there was a grand total of three people in the place. The skiing conditions were great. The brand new quad was running, and we could ski down Cyclops and right into the gate without having to wait at all to go up again. As only half the mountain was open, I really can't give a complete review of the terrain, and since I am not a snow boarder, I can't comment on the terrain park. However, anyone who has skied out west or in the northeast will probably feel like the black diamonds are really just blue squares. This is certainly not the fault of the resort - just a byproduct of living in the Midwest. Nor did it matter to those in our party who stuck to the blue and green runs. Devil's Head has done a great job with what nature has provided. We had a fantastic time, and will definitely be going back.