Way Overrated

by: sbi90 - Dec 17, 2010

Pros: big for the area

Cons: too many to list

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2010

We were there the day after a 10-inch snowfall, having figured driving up from Chi-Town in blizzard conditions would be worth it for, dare I say it...a powder day in the Midwest. Got up early and caught the 3rd chair after the lift started spinning. The result- Cascade had GROOMED AWAY EVERY FLAKE OF POWDER. Unforgivable, even in the Midwest. And the trail called "Mogul Monster" was groomed as well- I really don't know how they're planning on letting moguls form.

Surprise, surprise...their stated vertical is misleading. The top quarter of the mountain consists of some really flat beginner terrain. From the top of the "black diamond" trails to the bottom of Cindy Pop lift you have about a 300ft drop. 300 is half-decent for the Midwest, but it's not the best either. Speaking of the Cindy Pop lift- does it make any sense that the lift that services the steepest, toughest trails runs as slow as your typical beginner lift? Takes 30 seconds to bomb your way down the over-groomed hill, then you ride back up at a snail's pace to do it again.

They COULD have some decent glades if they would thin out the woods between the trails, but I guess that would be letting us have too much fun.

What it IS good for- best place in the area to take a first-timer, because the bunny hill actually has chairlifts instead of "magic carpets" or tow-ropes. This is most helpful in teaching newbies how to use chairlifts, so take your kid there (under 12 skis free).

I really don't know how this is #2 is Wisconsin. Food is crazy expensive, and terrain is mediocre, even for the area. I doubt I'll be back unless I score a free ticket somewhere.