Winterplace Ski Resort Review

by: anonymous_user - Mar 15, 2007

Date Visited: Mar 15, 2007

I'll start my review by telling you that I have worked at Winterplace for three years as a ski instructor so I know the good and the bad and in no way is my opinion biased.

Like those before me have stated Winterplace's slopes are generally short and
not challenging. Yes drop off is a very mild black, however if you visit Winterplace later in the season (February) and try out Turkey Chute you might get a bit of a challenge. Even if you came in late January Plunge was probably open which rates as a black by any resorts standards as well. I won't deny that the mountain is geared towards beginners but about 70% of business comes from Youth and Scout groups.

The facilities are almost flat out horrible. There are two lodges, the mountain house which contains a huge cafeteria, along with the rental shop and administrative offices. The food is mediocre at best, I don't eat it anymore and the place itself from time to time smells a little. If you rent a pair of ski's from the rental shop and lose or break them, don't sweat it. No matter what you rental agreement says you well get away with it. A snowboard or mini-snowboard i would be careful with. Don't expect high quality skis, however you do have the option of demoing anything from a pair of Metrons to Super crosses and more. The other Lodge can be accesed from the slops and is the home of snow tubing. It also has a cafeteria which forms the same food but with smaller lines on a busy day.

The only place to lodge at Winterplace our the privately owned Winter Haven condos and there are a few slope-side houses. Both are normally reasonably priced and Winterhaven even contains a quaint bar with the best food at Winterplace. Chances are you'll be staying in Beckley though.

Over all if you come to Winterplace as a beginner you well probably learn how to ski unless your just not cut out for it. A upper level skier might leave a bit more wanting but still there are a few challenging slopes if you come at the right time.