by: elisse - 10th January 2014

good skiing, lifts, instructors
Needs good restaurant

I live in southern WV, I'm an Intermediate skier, and Winterplace is only 1.5 hours from the Elkhorn Inn in Landgraff, WV, making it a day trip for us and our guests and friends, so we feel pretty darn lucky to have it here! And it's the ONLY ski resort in our region! It is not Vail! LOL It is a family-focused resort hosting lots of kids, with a frankly ucky cafeteria, but it Does have a decent little bar, and nice staff :-) Most importantly: The skiing is actually quite good, and the snow-making is very good (they recently upgraded their snow-making equipment, I believe- although this winter they evidently won't need it. LOL). The instructors I have had for private lessons have also been excellent, and the resort's staff has been helpful and pleasant..It is next to the Glade Springs Resort, which Has good restaurants with fine food, an Excellent spa, etc., and (Very importantly), a free shuttle bus to and from Winterplace, so you don't have to drive back and forth (YAY!), so when we go to Winterplace, if we do want to stay overnight, we stay at Glade Springs. Note that as I learned to ski in Garmisch, Germany on the Zugspitz, I have always been disappointed with ski resorts everywhere else, including the several I skied at in Utah, so I am not praising Winterplace lightly. We have always had a great time there and truly feel lucky that we don't have to drive 6 hours to go skiing- because then I'd Never get to ski!