Winterplace Ski Resort Review

by: katepence - Jan 6, 2008

Date Visited: Jan 6, 2008

Took a day trip to Winterplace (2 hr. drive for me). I was expecting something better. First of all, many of the trails were closed even though it had snowed 6+ inches just days before and their snowmaking had formed huge mountains of snow all along these closed trails. Seems to me that with a little grooming the entire mountain could (and should) have been open. Secondly, they need to turn off the snowmakers when it is no longer cold enough to make snow! It was 39 degrees on friday with full sunshine. It was raining underneath the snowmakers. No one enjoys skiing in the rain (especially on a clear day). Third, the lift lines were horrible, granted not all of the lifts were open. The main problem was no one was there to direct the line. Skiers just muddled their way toward the lift in one massive group, with most of the chairs going up the mountain only partially full. Lastly, the beginners there are out of control. Often in the lift lines someone would be standing on my skis or run over top of my personal skis. Thank god I don't have nice equipment (altough I still try to take good care of what I have). If you do have your own stuff, I would steer clear of Winterplace. I realize scratches are trivial, but the beginners are also dangerous. At a point were several trails merge/diverge there is a large crowd of people. One particuarly out of control skier was coming down a blue and tried to do a jump near the bottom. Needless to say, he didn't land so gracefully. And then procedded to skid through the crowd. They were falling/flying every which way just like bowling pins. A video of this would probably win on "america's funniest home videos" but it's not funny when you consider the permanent damage that could happen by breaking a bone or dislocating a knee. Sadly, this skier was allowed to continue. Anywhere else his lift ticket would have been clipped, end of story. So if you want to brave the few open trails, long lines, and rain remember watch out for other skiers!!