by: Dave O - 6th January 2010

Good variety of trails (usually). Good early/late season deals.
Slow lifts. Poor snowmaking (early season).

My son and I (and several from my Cub Scout Pack) went to Timberline the weekend of Dec 18-20. They have early/late season Scout deals. We had been 4 times before but this was the worst. There were only two trails opened--and one was the learning (bunny) trail. They had been making snow for a couple of weeks (on and off, there was a warm spell in mid-December) so we didn't expect much. But, we woke up on Saturday morning to 15 inches of fresh snow. They still only had two trails opened. The non-bunny one, White Out, was the most challenging green trail in the place and was fun but got boring. Woke up the next morning to another 6-8 inches and was hoping more would be open. NOT! What the heck does it take to open the trails there? One staffer told me they like 3-4 base feet of snow to open a trail. Wow--in lower PA, we're happy if that is the max we get all year on our trails. I spoke to another staffer and they said that they only have a few stationery snow guns and the rest are mobile--so they work on a trail or two per night. For crying out loud, invest in some snowmaking equipment!!! You're in the south for crying out loud. Yes, they had some problem with a water line and couldn't make as much snow as they wanted but those sorts of things shouldn't happen. I would have hoped they would have checked that stuff out pre-season. Now, the other times we went, we had many more trails opened. December 2008, I think there were only a small handful that were NOT opened. We will go back in late March for the end of the season special weekend with the Scouts but will rent a house on the slopes. In late March, historically, almost all trails are open. When they are open, there are some great trails. Too bad it wasn't the case this past December. I will go back for the trails but may not go back next December unless I am sure that more of the mountain is open. Oh yeah, the lifts need updating. 10 minutes to the top of the mountain (1000 vertical feet). I was glad the trails were only opened on the bottom half of the mountain this last trip. This resort could be awesome if someone invested some money into it for snowmaking and lifts. Staff was very friendly and helpful.