by: Dave O - 29th March 2010

Excellent base, great trails
SLOW lift. Slow to update website with open trails and other info.

Every year I come here twice for the inexpensive "Scout Discount" weekends in December and late March. This year (March 26-28) was better than ever. Still had a significant snow base on all open trails (about 4 were closed out of 37). There is some excellent downhill here. Did every trail but the "bumpy" ones and they all had good snow coverage. "Twister" was a great blue run and "White Lightning" was my favorite black. WIDE and steep and long. Morning grooming was great but by lunch, things were pretty slushy, especially on the easier trails that most people took. Most of the staff was nice but none were very professional except for one nice guy working in the cafeteria. I think someone else suggested getting the staff some matching jackets (or overalls). Food was marginal and they don't allow brown-bagging in the cafeteria area. They have three lifts--a double to the beginners trail and two triples to the top of the mountain. There's one triple that has a stop at about one quarter up the mountain and another that goes straight to the top. I've never seen the latter running. The one that does run is very slow and it takes almost 10 minutes to get to the top. Since it services beginner trails as well, there are usually several stops while you're heading up. But, the vertical and trails are worth the wait. I know it was the last weekend of the year but I wish they would have had night skiing on Friday night. I got there early enough to go (their website didn't say it would be closed) but it never happened. I'll still be going next year with the hopes that they'll invest in a little uplifting improvement.