If it ain't crowded it ain't open

by: Eric - Mar 29, 2014

Pros: Great snow conditions and grooming

Cons: closed terrain and restaurants

This was my first trip to Snowshoe and took 3 of my kids (ages 6, 9, and 14). This was a good ski season in the region and there was abundant natural snow in March before and during my trip. There was a good mix of terrain overall and we got 9 inches of snow (powder) in 3 days. There were quite a few flat areas where using poles or skating was required. I was disappointed that one major lift (Powderidge) and 3 green trails were closed for the season starting the first day we were there. I choose Snowshoe over another resort because they appeared to have all their terrain open and there was no indication of this closure. My wife was also disappointed that half the restaurants were closed and several shops were closed. Although we had a good time overall due to the relative lack of crowds, we would have had a great experience if all the terrain was open. My first impression of this place is that profit comes before customers. Until something changes my mind, I will associate the motto "if it ain't crowded, it's closed" with Snowshoe.