by: Andy D - 14th February 2011

Large Mountain with Many Trails (for east coast), Silver Creek
Ballhooter Lift crowded as heck on weekends!

I had an amazing saturday day trip at Snowshoe. It was my first time there and it didn't disappoint. After getting first chair at snowshoe mountain, I hit as many of the Most Difficult slopes as i could before the lifts got to be too crowded on the main mountain. Widowmaker, Camp 99, & Sawmill provided some nice, steep and fast runs with little to no lift lines even on a saturday. SILVER CREEK was awesome. The snow looked almost untouched on Bear Claw and Flying Eagle when I got there just after lunchtime. I basically just rode those 2 slopes for about 3 hours. Lots of cut throughs in the trees to keep things interesting. I was VERY impressed with the Terrain Parks, even though I never attempt anything past the beginner size terrain park. There were multiple parks with all kinds of difficulties and really something for everyone who is into Park Riding. The only regret I had was not hitting the WESTERN TERRITORY section of the mountain. I was having such a good time at SILVER CREEK that I just decided to do laps there instead.... Only real downside to this particular mountain is the affordable lodging closeby... there isn't any. You can pretty much either make a day trip or pay $150+ a night for the cheapest hotel rooms at the bottom of the mountain close to 10 miles away. There is plenty of lodging slopeside, but i can't imagine how much that costs...