by: anonymous_user - 11th November 2007

Steven Pass is where I grew up. It brings back tons of happy memories and that is where my favorite memories stay. I was taught to ski by Jean Lyon. She was the best! It was so much fun to climb in the Winnie (Big W) and plan on spending the weekend with all my ski buddies in their motorhomes too. Normally, the kids would hang out in one motorhome playing games or coloring, while our parents hung out together in another. Easter Sunday was always there and the Big MM race (follow the blue line) was so much fun. I remember many years there. It was a safe place with lots of friends, family and relatives. It was as if all the motorhomes were family - where people could just be themselves. Jean started teaching me how to ski when I was about 1 1/2-2. She and Dick ran a great school and it's so great to see that David is now running the show up there and carrying on like his partents. I traveled the counry ski racing with PNSA & through college racing and there have been many great places along the way. However, still in my heart - Stevens is still my favorite! Good, fun times up there. Times I wish I could go back and repeat...it would be so fun to just go up and run Big Chief again. Living in Oregon - I haven't been up there in many many years - things have changed, I hear, and that's too bad. Memories are what we hold on to and tell our kids. Stevens Pass was a great childhood memory - when things were slow, people were not so into showing off, and everyone was like "family". It would be great to have a reunion up there with all the families that had all the 60's and 70's kids up there waiting for training the next day by Dick and Jean. When people ask me who taught me...it was Jean. She rocked. Good luck David - you have big shoes to fill - but you will do just fine with your upbringing. I remember.