Mt. Baker Review

by: anonymous_user - Mar 25, 2008

Date Visited: Mar 25, 2008

Funny reading the reviews. Truth is Baker is pretty good. I was there the year of the record snowfall (1997). The runs were good, but not great. The snow was deep --- and thick and heavy. The resort itself was shaggy - in a good way. And I loved the atmosphere there - absolutely no pretention i.e. small town mountain. The views of the peaks were spectacular (see Reviewers photos below). Note (and I could be wrong here but I don't think I am) those peaks aren't anywhere near part of the ski hill itself. Net-net: if you're in WA state, you gotta go! If you're in the Pac NW, you can probably get the same stuff at your local hill. The equivalent here in NorCal would be SugarBowl which IMHO can also have thick and heavy snow from time to time, but more often than not is far lighter than what I experienced at Baker. A lot lighter. PS: Yes, the road up is sketchy no doubt about it but that's the way it goes. Make sure you're driving 4x4 M+S and go slowly. As for as toking in the parking lot ... ahh, you might want to check in with your kids. It's been the all the rage since like 1968. Thumbs way up on Baker. But I wouldn't fly in from very far out to experience it (and the locals probably don't want you too ; )