by: lead14 - 31st January 2009

Good advanced slopes
Rude staff, awkward intermediate and beginner slopes

Crystal Mountain is good for advanced skiers, but bad for beginners or intermediates. The advanced slopes are challenging and there was lots of snow. The intermediate slopes are awkward and difficult to navigate even if the slopes are slightly crowded. I wouldn't recommend it for snowboarders, there are lots of level spots. The staff were terribly rude, though. I was teaching a 12 year-old girl to snowboard and the lift operator on the bunny slope was rude and screamed at us when she fell getting off the lift, no matter how quickly I acted to get her out of the way. Once, we actually had to jump off the lift while it was turning because a little girl had fallen right before us and the operator failed to stop or even slow the lift. The lodge cafeteria staff weren't very hospitable either. The staff at our hotel, Crystal Mountain Lodgings, were outright rude and we felt like we were imposing if we had to ask them for anything. They even went as far as to call us names. I was there with my family, so maybe it would be better suited for singles or couples, but I wouldn't recommend it at all.