Chair down...again

by: Rocky Racoon - Mar 16, 2009

Pros: Fresh new snow and few people

Cons: Quad was down, grooming was pathetic, beer is overpriced

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2009

I have gone a couple dozen times to 49 this season and overall the experiencs have been enjoyable. Today, I went up because a huge dump of snow has occured recently. I was all excited until I found Chair 5 was broken down, leaving one lift open for too many hours. They did open Chair 4 at 11:30, but none of the runs had been groomed. Now, that isn't bad for me because I love tree runs and deep snow, but it was a heavy snow and only the strongest skiers would have fun on that part of the hill.

This is particularly upsetting, because the last time I went up, on a Tuesday, Chair 1 broke down and stranded half the customers at the lodge for half the day. I was lucky because I got up before it went down and was skiing the sunrise basin....alone! Chair 2 and 4 weren't running that day and the school kids who were brought up in buses were highly agitated.

As has been the case most of this season, the Boomtown Bar was understaffed for the lunch rush. One person in the bar is not good when lunches and brew is being served. And, the beer is $4.50 a glass, which is Cadillac prices for a Depression ski slope.

The good is that there is lots of great tree skiing and no lines at the lifts, even with 3/5 of them shut down on a Monday. It's like they have given up for the year and written it off though, and I'm a little sad and a little mad at management.