by: apga0001 - 14th January 2009

Good snowmaking capacity when weather allows
Poor weather, unhelpful condition reporting, etc

Wintergreen is a small ski hill trying to pose as a big resort. Everything from the mountain stats to their lift ticket prices shows how hard they try to play with the big boys, but too often they come up short. Wintergreen's mountain stats first boasts an astonishing 11,000 resort acres, but pity anyone who doesn't continue reading to find the more useful 129 skiable acres statistic (an amount, by the way, that is rarely fully open). Let us not forget Wintergreen's lift rates.. as high as $69 on a holiday weekend, and don't bother trying to catch a deal going up for nightskiing midweek, it's still $34 during the main season and you won't get any access to the expert terrain at night. It's just you and the super slow quad on the blues unless you want to trade riding greens for the high-speed lift that serves them. Another thing that often bothers me is Wintergreen's insistance on focusing so much of their snowmaking efforts on their beginning terrain.. and the TUBING. Now, I understand Wintergreen aims towards families and that beginner terrain is crucial to introducing new skiers to the sport, but when a learn to ski package is as much as $100 (and no less than $68) for an adult, I don't know how a resort can honestly say they are committed to bringing in new customers and getting them hooked. Moreover, when I signed up a friend for the program, he did not come away from his half day lesson able to ski. when I approached the ski school about getting my money back since the program is titled "GUARANTEED Learn to Ski and Ride," I was told the guarantee only applies for individuals who complete 3 separate sessions. Even going mid-week in the low season this would cost $186. I just don't get it. Lastly.. why does Wintergreen insist on not posting a real ski report? I've checked the report after a rainy 45 degree day and it'll simply state "Bouncing back quickly after a thaw is something we do very well." That's all well and good, but what is the SNOW like? Is it it wet? Did it freeze overnight? I've approached the mountain operations director about this and he has told me that they are "trying" to improve the reports. Here's what I want to see: Base depth range Average base depth Primary conditions (machine groomed, frozen granular, etc Secondary conditions Forecasted temperature(s) But sadly, I don't know if this will ever happen And what's also sad is that Wintergreen is one of the few tickets in town. Either ski here or pack it up and travel to Snowshoe or hop a plane to Colorado or Utah. Last year I chose the former and regretted it. This year I'm saving my money and choosing the latter.