by: Tony LeGore - 12th December 2010

16 miles from home
No lights on the highlands

I have been skiing at Wintergreen for several years now, and while I have been to bigger resorts in WV that have more runs, I love Wintergreen because I can be there in 15 minutes, so for me I don't deal with the weekend crowds and the busy lift lines, the best time to ski there is during the weekdays, it's virtually empty and you get much better bang for the buck. They have decent rental equipment, but I own my own stuff so never have to deal with rentals. The food is great at The Edge, as well as the Cabin, the Grog is really good stuff when you need to warm your bones and get a little numb. Anyone coming in from out of town, and want something different off the mountain to eat and drink, there are a few breweries in the area worth checking out, Devil's Backbone is just down the road behind the ski barn, they have good food and beer, but a bit pricey, then if you make a left at the ski barn and head up 151 a few miles you'll find Blue Mountain Brewery, their food is simply awesome, I have yet to try anything there that wasn't great, reasonably priced and their beers are the best in the area.