by: vadoc - 22nd February 2010

Nice amenities; slopes are not crowded
Long lift lines - long lift lines

I am quite conflicted about Wintergreen. On one hand, it is a very nice resort with all the amenities and fairly good slopes: However, the lift lines on the weekend are truly horrible. We went on President's Day weekend, which was apparently a mistake, as everyone else seemed to be there also. What was surprising is that the slopes weren't crowded at all, especially Tyro and the lower blacks, but what was even more surprising is that the lift lines were amazingly long. During the afternoon on Sunday, I routinely waited 20 minutes for every lift. Also, I was a guest of a member and had the "special red badge", but halfway through the day, some of the staff decided that we couldn't use our badges and thus couldn't use the special lift lines. My wife had only 3 hours to ski (infant with babysitter) and only got in 4 runs in 3 hours. My two kids did the Treehouse all-day ski school and really didn't enjoy it at all. My 8yo is extremely athletic and was bored after one hour. My 5yo is not extremely athletic and apparently was harassed by some other kids to the point that she was in tears much of the day. I took them to another resort last weekend for private lessons and they did very well. Lesson learned on group ski lessons for kids. Overall, Wintergreen is a really nice resort. I have been there more than 10 times in the past few years, but only skiing twice. Both times I skied, the lift lines have been out of proportion to the number of skiers. They just don't seem to have the lift capacity to get people back up the mountain. I will certainly go back for the golfing and my wife swears by the Spa, but I don't think we will ever go back for the skiing.