A very western style resort in Vermont

by: Applesauce1 - Jan 20, 2010

Pros: lots of terrain with lots of variety

Cons: no lift that goes from base to summit

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

I visited Sugarbush in January of 2010. I had been here about 11 years ago, but don't remember too much of it. There are 2 base areas at this resort (the main one and the Mt. Ellen one). I think most people start out at the main base area. The lodge/lift ticket building is very nice and looks pretty new. They have a large cafeteria (with, of course, with expensive food like any resort does) that reminds me very much of the ones out west I've been to. It's very easy to access the mountain from this area. There's a few lifts right outside of the lodge. Once on the mountain, you'll notice that there is a huge variety of terrain. I went straight for the blacks and double blacks so I'm not sure if the blues and greens are, but I did come with my dad who said they were. So, nonetheless, the blacks and double blacks here are right on tap with blacks and double blacks at The Canyons, Park City, and Breckenridge. I would say that the blacks aren't quite what blacks are at Alta or Snowbird or Mad River...but will still give you some challenge. The big plus for this place over Stowe or Mad River (the two other VT resorts i visited on this trip) is the vertical drop. I think lincoln peak is around 2600' and Mt. Ellen is around 2700'. So, you'll get a little more skiing time if you want to go down in run. Unfortunately, there is no lift that goes from the base to summit....that's probably the only thing i wish this resort had. Anyhow, I'd say Sugarbush is the most "complete" resort I visited on this trip in terms of terrain quanitity and difficulty and for on-site lodging. Highly recommended!