by: jjmonzon - 2nd March 2009

Moguls, moguls, and more moguls!
Rain + Freeze = Ice

I have been looking for a resort that has lots of moguls and Sugarbush has most of their black trails moguled up! My legs were all jelly after my day. For challenger lovers - definitely try Ripcord and most of the Snowcastle trails (they have a sign saying Experts only - all trails have moguls, ungroomed, and did we mention Rocks!!!) - they meant it. Okay, they also have lots of nice cruisers which I take to rest my aching quads. These cruisers are well groomed which was needed because it just rained a few days ago then temperatures went down causing the rain to harden up into hard packed snow and ice. The ungroomed trails were a murder to ski, thankfully by noontime, other skiers and old sunshine softened them up a lil bit for a slightly more comfortable ride. Folks are very polite. They gave me a sticker, they made small talk and they were really holding on to those slow chair lifts so they don't hit your legs while you sit on them. Sometimes the folks over at Killington or Sunday River forget to do that and I got bruises in my calves to prove it! My 72 dollars was well worth it. No lines, friendly staff, lots of bumps. A few of my gripes: 1. Please close trails that are dangerous to ride on. I love bumps but ice, rock, grass aint fun to ride. I mistakenly followed an instructor (he was wearing a shirt and was leading a bunch of kids) to a mogul field and I saw kids slide around and fall (trail is called Domino). I know the resort wants to say 100% of trails are open but please please post more signs warning us of the dangers :/. 2. Some worker told me that the intermountain express quad is opening at 8 ummm... it opened at like 10. Upper lifts opened at 9 forcing me to do the greens and blues over and over again. 3. Not a lot of pure steeps. Moguls are fun but I would love to ride some steep fall lines as well (without the bumps). My personal favorite is Killington's Canyon Area for amazing steeps.