by: isaiah knight - 7th April 2014

none
everything

After a VERY long car ride back home I had time to think about this review. To start I am an avid hiker who's summited the N.H. 4,000 footers and completed the AMC & threshold NH summits. After that I perused Vermont and I've successfully hiked all but Mt. Ellen & Abraham. As a senior at Plymouth State University majoring in Business administration and minoring in Professional communications I was shocked and appalled at how they treated me. Discussing this trip with fellow AMC members and past hikers who've hiked these summits claim it’s possible to climb up from the ski lodge at Sugarbush. I was directed to the north side were a man acted as though he didn't know why I was there. I would have hiked the L. gap or the App. gap but due to the winter conditions they are closed. Coming from Plymouth NH, there is no other way to summit these mtns unless you drive 1 hr each way around the peaks. I politely asked two gentlemen at both lodges and after 3+ hours of driving EACH WAY I was forced to turn back. I was told by the director of the AMC himself I COULD hike the lower FIS trail to the summit IF I gave the staff notice and stayed close to the edge of the trail. When I talked to the person in charge they said the trail was closed to the public and I’d have to pay a $68 fee to CLIMB the peak! He said due to the liability of the mountain. Understandable to a point. But making me pay $68 fee to climb the peak when the trails closed, and showing up before opening it’s outrageous. Regardless of this I was mistreated two times by staff and once by a resort clerk. After wasting $200+ on gas, food, and other expenses I am offended by Sugarbush policies and I advise people reading to know I don't get upset easy, and this is not a joke! I’ve summited 198 peak throughout New England, 22 of those being Ski Mountains. Im my 5 years of climbing I’ve never been rejected. So in conclusion I advise the reader to not go to Sugarbush but to a nicer mountain were people treat you better!