by: anonymous_user - 1st January 2008

Well I have contemplated going to Stratton for a while now and have heard and read many things about it. Ranging from a very Snobish place to visit where everyone has 1200.00+ ski suits etc... long lines... you know the things that are said about Stratton.... Today I finally broke down and went to Stratton today 1/1/08. First off I want to say from the minute I got there I new was going to like this place. Why not I like all finner things in life and this resort was nothing short of that. The parking attendants in lot 1 were very friendly and made you feel welcome right from the very first person saying good morning and happy new year. This was repeated by just about every employee of Stratton I encountered. The ticketing process was very easy with plenty of people there to get myself and my 7 year old son tickeded. Ticket prices are another thing I always hear people telling me about Stratton and how expensive thier lift tickets are. 79.00 for myself and low 40's for my son. Comparing these prices to all the other resorts in VT and they are within 10.00 per person haliday rates. For the friendly staff and great service I gladly pay the extra 10.00 for the Value added service that is often forgotten at the other Big Mountain resorts in VT. At the end of they day I purchased an X2 card for myself and my son basically it is the cost of another days lift ticket and includes a "free" day of skiing with it (your paying for the day with the pass" What I like about the pass is it will give you 30.00 off future tickets on weekdays (making it one of the least expensive lift tickets in the state) and 20.00 off on weekends. Holidays only get you a 10.00 discount. The pass is a good deal for you if you plan on skiing there 2 or more times in the year. well at 8:30 My son and I were able to walk right onto the gondola with no lines or waiting (new years day I am sure alot of people slept in). On the 31st they recieved 11" of fresh powder (not sure where previous poster was skiing) and every trail we hit for the first 3-4 runs were groomed very well and it was great to be able to ski without hearing any scraping ice below our feet (it was earily quiet) it started snowing at 9:45 or so and continued throuout the day topping of at about 7-8" of new powder. The whole day was the most incredable skiing I have ever done powerd all day long great trails and little or no lines. Keep in Mind this was new years day and alot of people stayed away due to the snow. all in all this was just an awesome day and I cannot wait to get back to skiing Stratton. I wish I did not have to work tomorrow as they are expecting another 3-5" of snow tonight. That would be over 23" in 3 days..... I will be sure to post a review of my experience the next time I ski at Stratton witch will be in a few weeks. Oh, about the "snobby people" If you do not like the CT, New York, NJ crowd it may not be for you. To me that is not a bad thing. Everyone I talked to on the Gondola was very nice and not snobby in any way. I liked that you did not have many crass or rude people around. People have said Stratton is the Vail of the east and i could see how people could make that analogy. For me this was a positive pert of the eperience not a negative at all.