by: Andy M - 8th January 2008

Trail Access, decent beginner terrain
Parking arrangements

Having read so many positive things on Stratton and family programs, I took the family there over the Christmas break, 2007. Props: I will give Stratton props for it's excellent beginner terrain and overall trail access. My 5 and 8 year old kids loved the place. The village has a good variety of shops and services, but we chose to stay in nearby Manchester to control accomodation cost. Nits: Ticket prices were high, especially given that half the mountain and most of the advanced terrain was closed for 1/2 the day. Lift operators were very rude, barking and yelling at everyone. (Is that because there are so many people from New York?) I hated the parking arrangements - it was a park and shuttle set-up. The issue was the shuttles were essentially converted pickup trucks with metal cages where the bed used to reside. Skier climb into the cages and hold on for the brief ride from the lots to the mountain. The cages don't have external attachments to slide your skis into, so you must carry and hold your equipment, which is a PITA with kids. We did ski over a holiday weekend, so the American Express lift was very crowed and most of the upper mountain was closed until nearly noon because of fog. The traffic in the beginner area, however, was fairly light which I found suprising. Overall, if I were in New York and not Boston, I would return. However given the distance from Boston and the overall experience, I will probably choose the White Mountains or Maine for the next family ski vacation.