Best in the East

by: keneikirk - Dec 30, 2009

Pros: quality, quantity, and variety of trails, scenery

Cons: early season weather

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2009

I had wanted to ski at Stowe for over 20 years but for different reasons it never happened until this year. Based on all I had read about Stowe, I expected to be impressed and I definitely was. I have only skied in the East but Stowe is the best I have been to.

I took my family just one week after the ski season started in earnest so the mountain wasn't completely open but there were plenty of trails for an experienced skier to have a blast skiing top to bottom on intermediate and expert trails. The runs were longer and more interesting than other trails I had skied elsewhere and the views were awesome.

The main drawback was that there was only one beginner trail open for my kids to ski so they got bored quickly, but they had two other days at another resort earlier in the week, so this one day was for my wife and I and we enjoyed it!!

I do prefer a ski resort with a more family friendly atmosphere but for me it's about the skiing so not a big deal.

Having said that, no complaints because we knew the chance we were taking going so early in the season. I hope to go back next year a little later in the season when everything is open so that we can fully enjoy Stowe!!