Best in the East

by: VTSki184 - Dec 11, 2012

Pros: snow fall, terrain options, amenities, service, lifts, skiable terrain, tree skiing, scenery

Cons: pricey

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Mar 1, 2012

I've been New England skier my whole life and I found myself drawn more to Stowe the past few years. I'm a skier so there are really 2 things I care about: snow fall and terrain. Stowe has impressive snowfall, consistently gets solid storms and usually has a nice deep snow pack to ski well into April. Powder days are frequent (for the East) and good soft snow can be found days after a storm if you know where to look. The terrain is top notch. There is a ton of backcountry and sidecountry terrain. You can explore so many different areas and avoid crowds by hiking or traversing around the mountain. As an advanced skier you will never get bored. There's always new terrain to explore.

Other great things about Stowe: it accessible, close to the highway, there's plenty of dining and lodging options at any price range. Stowe's also a very pleasant Vermont town with plenty to do.

Yeah it is pricey but you can find plenty of deals on tickets and lodging. But you get what you pay for; the lifts are fast, the base lodges are great, staff are fantastic, the food is damn good and its in an amazing location.

I've skied damn near every decent size ski resort in the East and Stowe is simply the best.