by: Nick Park - 9th December 2011

Challenging
Very challenging, icy, expensive

This was my first trip to a big-time mountain. The weather leading up to our trip was warm, so a lot of the base had slushed up. However, a cold spell came through and turned everything to a sheet of ice. We lucked out because a blizzard came on our first night there, but all the fresh powder was gone by noon the following day. As long as you don't mind waist-high bumps made of ice, it's fantastic! The few greens they have are fine, but slow. The blues seemed far more difficult than "intermediate", but forcing myself to ski them really made me improve my skills. There was very little in terms of terrain park, but it was early in the season. The stuff they had was geared toward more advanced skiers - I got to see some guy do a double back flip and nail the landing (switch, even!). Impressive, but as a not-teenaged guy, I'm not going to bother with stuff on that scale. I would go back, but I'd wait until later in the season, after the base is built up, and the terrain parks are up and running. It sucks to ski solid ice! But if you could hit it on a powder day, it would be incredible. Lodging on mountain was expensive, so we stayed in town. The trip in and out can be a nightmare; it took us over an hour to get back to our room one night (4-5 miles away). The mountain didn't seem good for families, but I don't have to worry about that as its just my girlfriend and I. It also didn't seem too good for nightlife, but the main town is just a few miles away, and there's TONS to do there. That is, if you're not too tired after the day's skiing.