by: sdukett - 20th February 2008

We were at Stowe January 25- 27, 2008. We have been there many other times also, and plan to go back at least 2 - 3 more times this year. Frankly, I believe it is the best mountain in New England. They blow away everyone to the south for natural snow. I have skied at Killington, Pico, Okemo, Stratton, Ascutney, Mt Snow, and Haystack, and there is no comparison in my mind. People say it is too far, but coming from CT, it is 1/2 hour further to drive then Killington and a world apart. The weekend in January the conditions were terrific, the sun was out, there was fresh powder and no crowds on the trails. True, the main quad on Mansfield does get backed up pretty badly on a Saturday. You can get around that by riding the triple chair (slower but often faster to the top), or getting in the singles line. It is worth it once you get there. Amazing views, amazing variety of long long trails. Every time we go we find something new. People are polite and considerate. This mountain is populated by real skiers/riders who love the sport and not a bunch of rude, loud, and pushy people like some VT mountains. It is not uncommon to have amazing trails almost to yourself on a Saturday even. I am not constantly having to watch out for people cutting me off or getting in my way like some mountains. There are conjested areas of course like everywhere, but you can avoid most of them, or only have to deal with them for a short time, not constantly. Outside of skiing, there are wonderful restaurants. We love The Whip, Trattoria La Festa, and breakfast at the Gables Inn. I would like to see some more apre ski entertainment options. Plenty at late night, but not too much for earlier. Also, people at the restaurants, hotels, etc, tend to be very friendly and helpful and are locals usually. Not a bunch of imports just there for the season. BTW, 2 years ago I attended their "Women in Motion" 3 day clinic. It was the best and I learned so much. I highly recommend it.