by: nrmallery - 22nd January 2009

ALWAYS! great conditions! open early + stay open late inthe season!
Nightlife + friendliness of staff, unlke Stratton....

Ok, now that I live here in VT, I get, from the locals, a bit of disdain for this mountain - they seem to not think it is as good as others that the natives use, such as Jay + Sugarbush... Killington lies in the same category as Okemo, in their eyes - for the out of state people! Well, I came from outside of Albany, NY + would visit Okemo occasionally + always found superb conditions. But, Stratton was closer + usually won out. I get the mid-week pass + have it paid for by the beginning of February, with the times I go there. Stratton has a much more welcome feeling, with smiling face to greet you.... but you deal with more crowds, and the top is usually blown off + all ice. Not that Okemo doesn't get that way, but it won't remain that way for long, due to the incredible way they tend to the mountain conditions! I have to tell you Vermonters: You can go all day + never do the same slope (unlike Killington that seems to only have trails that rarely lead to a slope) twice! But you will want to do many of them twice or more! It is just that they have so many good slopes to choose from (they have the most trails, next to Killington, in the state) + it never seems crowded! As for the steepness, well, it is just right for me - their diamonds might not be true black diamonds, but you can sure get your money's worth by the diversity of them + have a LOT of fun. The half pipe is so much better than most, if the others even have one! Hey, Hanna Teeter trained here + got where she got, for some reason! And, there are plenty of glades + even a double diamond glades area that is absolutely magical among the white Birches!, but only for the experts, for sure. It is indeed snowboard heaven - well, not as much as Heavenly, in Tahoe, but for the east, I think it is as good as you get! And they have plenty of deals like $39 tickets on certain days - ck their website! But the midweek pass at $299ish includes Stratton, Sunapee + Crested Butte (I think that is the other mtn) in Colorado! Can't beat it! And you can ski the top more often than Jay! Think Snow, everyone - the more, the better! I would love to beat the 22 feet they got in Tahoe a few years ago. i know! I know! - not gonna happen out east! Oh well, I can dream, can't I? I would like to just see what 22 feet of snow looks like!!!! Maybe I will see you there! Try it, you'll like it! Maybe yrs ago, Okemo didn't compare to the other mtns, but it sure does now!! And you can always start riding or sking in November + into mid April!! You get more for your buck, for sure!! Hope you do yourself the favor to check it out, but not too many of you - I like it not feeling crowded!