by: anonymous_user - 20th February 2008

My son and I wanted to try a different mountain over Feb vacation. Having Skied this year at Mt Snow and Stratton we dicided to go to Okemo. I had never been to Okemo but always wondered about it as I was passing it to go to Killington. I decided on Okemo because of thier reputation for grooming. We originally wanted to go on Monday 2-18 but it rained all day. So we went out on Tuesday 2-19. I expected the trails to be Icy and the terain to be difficult. I must say I was impressed with the conditions of the trails with all of the rain the prior day. The south peak area was less crowded but very very icy. We found the Jackson gore area to be much better and actually pretty good for the way it rained. The lower half of jackson gore (learning area) was awefull very very icy (no fault of Okemo). We had a fun day and spent very little time in line. I do have to say that I probably won't go back anytime soon. Not at all due to the conditions but more to the Lift layout. There is not many if any lifts you can take top to bottom. So you spend the day always skiing either the upper half or the bottom half. This was dissapointing to me. A few of the lifts are very very very slow. I go to the big mountains because I like it to take longer to get down the mountain than it does to get up. With some of the tripples there I felt I could walk up faster. What would it take for me to come back ? New lifts replace the old 1950's tripples with some highspeed quads. I like the mountain and the trail they are definatly more advanced than say Stratton. But just hated the convoluted layout. I would also agree with the last poster I was there on a not so busy day and thought mountain road was over crowded can not imagine a weekend.