great for varied level group

by: Beck Wentz - Dec 13, 2013

Pros: amenities, size, conditions, service, lifts

Cons: cost

My ski history is 30 years deep with many VT, NE and western mts (about 45 diff mts 14 states). Ran a ski shop in my mid 20s. I just can't drive past Okemo since back in about '90. Done about 50 days there now. Ownership is committed and active about driving an excellent experience. Stellar uphill lift capacity, top ranked conditions and regular upgrading of terrain have kept it interesting for our groups of typically varying abilities. Many people we know who have means to hit any American mt anchor their winters around Okemo.
This elevates price but also skier ethics. Not a yahoo scene. Lodging on slope is abundant and town is extremely close unlike most VT mts. Glades have lifted challenge value. Hands down best beginner school and space. If you want everyone to enjoy the mt, need good snow and maximum time on slope, not lines and lifts, pick Okemo. Big enough for about 4 days of unrepeated runs but not so big that kids can't break off and know their way around. Okemo deserves strong review even if selfishly I prefer no others discover it.