by: Alan M - 2nd February 2012

Service, trails, tree runs, snow making, instruction
busy at weekend, expensive

I went in mid-December. I heard about Okemo from their resort rep at the Metro Ski & Snowboard show in London, England. Had intended to ski Magic Mountain and Okemo, but New England had a shortage of snow, so my guest house directed me to Okemo, which really has good snow-making - so important in those periods when it doesn't snow! Only some trails open, but still full vertical - snow was very icy. I skied down one very difficult blue run and then popped into lodge to look at giant trail map with open trails marked. Straight away I was approached by a resort rep offering help. She said that was the most difficult blue trail (later confirmed by my instructor), and directed me to where she felt the conditions were best, and marked them on my trail map. I asked if I had time to do a run before my lesson, she answered yes, and we'll inform them in case you are late. Group lesson - it was me alone for two hours. I have been very impressed by the standard of US ski instruction, and even by those high standards, this lesson was outstanding. Tom B had me doing an hour on the green runs perfecting my technique, and then took me up top to blue runs. Taught me how to find the bit of snow on the by now icy trails, and insisted on fulfilling the whole two hours (even though i was late, and i was one person for a group lesson). The Mountain is quite expensive, but the quality of service is friendly top quality American service at its absolute best. And the views, wow, stunning. Plus you are near some of Vermont's postcard perfect friendly small towns. Also pretty big - 72km of pistes (trails), and there really is because they are all through trees (unlike some European resorts which have a very wide piste and call it 3 runs and therefore triple the kms). Tip - resort was very busy with half of New Jersey and NYC up there (loud but pleasant), but still good. However it was a Saturday, so understandable. If you can make it mid-week, what a place to ski, and unless it is a holiday, if you book a full package with lessons, you may be alone or probably at worse in a group of 2.