friendly big small mountain

by: alanmoroney - Jan 15, 2010

Pros: Prices, runs, lifts, New England snow

Cons: cold

Date Visited: Dec 1, 2009

Stayed in Brattleboro and I had one day's skiing in Vermont, wanted good skiing, beautiful mountain scenery & Vermont small towns. I was going to head to Stratton 9because I had heard of it), but welcome center sent me to Mount Snow as it was nearer and less expensive.
I'm so glad. Great skiing, not all runs or lifts were open yet, but they still had the very long Green run "Long John" and the shorter (because they go straight down and don't wind) blue runs open), wonderful.
And the North face is amazing for experts, with all black glade runs, except for the blue River Run.
Warning, the runs are pretty steep, even the green runs - but any steep bit on a green very quickly leads to a flat part so you won't lose control.
I paid $95 for lift ticket/rental/group lesson deal, which ended up being a 90 minute private lesson - amazing value. I doubt you will get that at the weekend, but mid-week if there are no holidays, you are looking at you alone or 1 or 2 others. Instructor was absolutely first class.
The snow - I can see why New England skiers are so technically brilliant! Icy, brilliant for finding all the faults in your technique, even more reason to book a lesson.

Scenery is stunning, lodge is nice and it is so nice to have a cafe on the top of the summit.