Terrain, Terrain, Terrain!!!

by: gma1970 - Apr 13, 2010

Pros: This is the happiest little cliff I've ever skied.

Cons: Only skiable with fresh, natural snow

Recommended For: Singles, Empty Nesters

Date Visited: Feb 1, 2010

Name your favorite chunk of sick terrain in New England and I'll show you something on Magic that skis just like it at least for a few turns. The only difference (okay, it is a bit shorter) between Red Line and the run under the Madonna Chair at Smuggs is the color of the paint on the lift. Jay, Stowe, Sugarbush, doesn't matter, you can find the same level of challenge just in a more compact package. The problem is being able to ski it at all. Sadly, the place has no money and no water and that, unless we are blessed by Mother Nature, means no snow. I'm fine with the lift capacity which, this year meant one grouchy old Hall (I think) double chair that didn't pass inspection last year and didn't run. I don't care if they ever run that scary Swiss tinker toy set known as the Black Chair, which didn't run this year, again. The lodge, which is comfortable and has plenty of room for all, is in pretty good shape considering the look of the hill's balance sheet. They have a nice, fairly new groomer to take care of the snow they do have but, they really need for someone else to operate it. The people who ski here are, in general, great skiers and, great people. Good company on the lift rather than Joey on the phone with his broker at Killington. Think this place is run by skiers for skiers? Their capital conserving schedule this year went as follows: Friday through Monday and any day we get 6 or more inches of snow. I love this place and I hope they make it. They are selling shares to raise funds and I would encourage anyone who has ever skied here or who can appreciate a ski hill on its own merits to check out and consider the details. Meantime, make a point of skiing here after a storm, it really is an awesome hill!!