Challenging, unique, uncrowded

by: Applesauce1 - Jan 18, 2010

Pros: challenging, uncrowded, easy to get around mountain, inexpensive

Cons: occasional ice patches

Recommended For: Singles

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2010

I visited Mad River Glen in January of 2010. I had read reviews ahead of time that had described this as a challenging ski resort, which is the primary reason I wanted to go. I've been out of West the last 4 years and wanted to see what Vermont had to offer. Needless to say, I was very impressed with MRG. There are many challenging, steep slopes that whip and wind through the trees. My favorites were Antelope, Liftline, and Fallline. Slalom and Partride were also real nice off of the Sunnyside lift. Also, I did Paradise, which I'm proud I did, but, nonetheless was very challenging. Paradise is as steep and difficult as the double blacks you'll find at Alta and Snowbird. As far as the lodge here, it was very much to my liking. Simple and not too expensive for beer and food. The base of the resort is also very easy to get around. Basically, you park about a 2 minute walk from the lift ticket purchase desk. The ticket desk is right next to the main lodge and the Single Chair and Sunnyside lifts. So, nonetheless, easy to get around. The only downside is some occasional icy spots, which is very likely for a place with a very minimal snowmaking capability (pretty much the base and that's it). Nonetheless, this place is great and my favorite ski resort in the East.