by: tom travis - 17th January 2007

I would rank Killington as among my third favorite ski areas in VT (after Sugarbush and Stowe and tied with Okemo and Stratton). The views from this second loftiest peak in VT are good to the north but not as beautiful as from Sugarbush, Stowe,Jay or even Stratton. The best Killington viewpoint is from Pico and not Killington peak. Also, the much ballyhooed vertical of 3100' is misleading because the only way to access the lower part of this vertical is down the long, boring, easy 4 Mile or Great Eastern trails. You have to pole to make progress down portions of these trails. Otherwise, Killington has a modest vertical for VT, by my count (I could be off a little) only the eighth highest vertical in VT. To be sure, Killington has 212 trails off six different peaks (more if one counts Pico) far more numerous than the other VT ski areas, and therefore a great variety of trails that can keep a skiier interested for many days. My favorite trails are Cascade, Double Dipper, Superstar, Skyline, Skyburst, Dreammaker, Bear Claw and Wildfire. I should add that I love all the trails off the summit of Pico. It's a pity that Killington was not able to build lifts connectingto Pico as was originally planned. Killington also makes loads of snow and grooms quite well. It has a vast choice of lodging and restaurants and great apres-ski life.