by: Mark Lang - 23rd March 2010

Snow coverage, steeps, social scene
Some high traffic areas

I organized a group of 6 guys to ski Killington on Sat. March 20, 2010. I scored some discount tickets via the Killington Club Card (available through my ski club organization, EICSL) and a couple Groupons. We started and ended at Bear Peak and went as far over as Snowden Peak, doing mostly advanced trails. The temps were in the 50's, if not 60's. It got into the 70's in Boston that day. Blue sky until about 1:00, and then just partly cloudy. Every trail was open, snow coverage was great. The snow was soft, enabling me to do double diamond trails with moguls with no problems (I usually avoid moguls). There were a few sticky spots in the afternoon on a sunny novice (read: flat) trail ending at Bear's lodge, but that was to be expected on such a warm day. Great deck social scene at Bear's lodge, ditto with the tailgating in the parking lot and in the bars on the access road. Spring skiing seems to make people more friendly. That social scene gets even better when it moves out past the deck onto the lower slope of Bear mountain with hundreds of people celebrating the warm weather and the annual Mogul competition.