This place is for real

by: DubbelSac - Dec 5, 2009

Pros: countless

Cons: cold

Recommended For: Singles

Date Visited: Jan 1, 2009

Jay Peak is the sickest mountain I've ever skied. Practically in Canada, this place gets seriously cold. We arrived and it was -11...at the bottom of the mountain, we rushed to put our gear on because we saw that nobody was in a hurry to get out there and we were hoping to make first tracks. The temperature was easily 10 to 15 degrees colder at the top and we froze all the way to the bottom on their longest trail Ullr's Dream, with a quick diversion onto Kokomo, which was fun. After purchasing hand warmers, and toe warmers, we went back out for a killer day. The glades here are nothing short of amazing, and I didn't even ski them a ton due to my inexperienced companion. There wasn't as much snow as I wished there was, but when this place gets dumped on (which is often), it is probably the best skiing in the East. Locals love the fact that the place remains uncrowded, and gets a ton of snow. Some of them will even tell you where the best powder stashes are. Bring a camera on the tram so you can take some surreal pictures at the top. From there, have fun whichever way you choose to take down.