by: tpstutz - 5th September 2008

Most snow in the east, Less NYCers
Remote, not much there as far as amenities

We have been to Jay 2x, once in Feb, once in late March. Both times we had more snow than I have ever skied in my entire life, even more than Vail, Whistler or Tahoe except there was a rain/freeze bullet proof Sunday on our last day but our legs where too tired to care. Avoid Canadian holidays for crowds. I find Canadians WAY less obnoxious then NYers (except those that smoke) so I thought the people where fine. Locals are way cool. Lots of mid-Atlantic people where there too. 1st time (pre-kids) stayed at the Montgomery Inn which was a great b&b with a laid back snowmobile crowd and had fantastic food. Last time Stayed in Hotel Jay which was kitch 70s in a cool kind of way if you keep an open mind. The room was good enough, resteraunt food in the package deal was o.k. (good enough) but the ski in/ski out location and free Childcare during dinner absolutely ROCKS! Too bad there isn't really any night life to speak of to really enjoy having a night off. If there was they probably wouldn't watch your kids for free. Ski school was awesome. There's nothing to do up there so my daughter's instructor's boyfriend tagged along while she and one other 4 year old had a lesson. So they really got private lessons at a group rate. We finally talkled our New Year's ski crew into VT for 2009. I have never been there so early in the season and I pray the snow is better than NH or more southern VT mts in early January. We are used to cold, we've been at nice and icy/windy Wildcat for 10 or so years on New Year's. If you have an oppinion on the holiday week at Jay feel free to email thinktest (at) yahoo. Thanks!